Band website hostingQuantcast

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Remember the character played by Ben Stein in the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off? He was taking attendance in class and kept repeating "Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?"

I feel the same way about my interest in forming a team of people who have a special set of skills. I want to create a new economic index. You know what I'm talking about, right? There is the Consumer Confidence economic index created by, I think, the University of Michigan.

I want to test the correlation between live performances of music and the health of a regional economy. Could you begin to forecast the business climate based on how much live music can be heard in a narrowly defined geographic area? This is really interesting to me.

I have often used the "canary in the mineshaft" analogy to talk about the significance of the arts as a barometer of the economic storm fronts -- to mix a few metaphors. But there has been no way to measure that barometric pressure, that I know about.

An endeavor like this would take a team of people designing an economic index that would be intuitive and sensitive to the realities and exigencies of the music business. And then there would need to be a cadre of field researchers to gather accurate information.

Does anyone reading this have any suggestions how to proceed? I want to take the initiative and would be happy to be responsible for most of the organizational work. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment